Britney Going Through A Detox At Hospital

Written by admin. Posted in Personal Issues

Sources tell PageSix.com that Britney Spears is currently going through a detox process at the UCLA Medical Center. Doctors will stabilize her and evaluate her condition before she can be administered new medication to treat her suspected bipolar condition.

Detoxification is necessary for doctors to rid the patient’s system of other drugs so that they can be properly diagnosed and prescribed a course of treatment.

“It’s often helpful to clear the decks under medical supervision and get back to the drawing board and decide, ‘What have we been dealing with here?’” Dr. Keith Ablow, who has not treated the pop star, tells PageSix.com.

Detox is especially helpful in cases where the patient may have been misdiagnosed and administered medication that might have exacerbated or altered the person’s symptoms.

“You have lots of people who have manic symptoms of bipolar disorder wrongly diagnosed with attention deficit disorder,” says Dr. Ablow. “But if you put those people on stimulant medication, you can make them worse by driving them into the highest highs of their disorder.”

Britney was checked into the hospital late last night and placed on 72-hour psychiatric hold, or what is known as a 5150. So what can the singer expect over the coming days? During detoxification, the patient is slowly tapered off the medicine, with dosages being reduced over time. Doctors also sometimes use other medicines to temporarily blunt the symptoms of any withdrawal that might occur.

Dr. Ablow says it’s also helpful to have patients checked into the hospital for several days so doctors can monitor the effect of the medications over time and figure out whether more medications need to be added and in what dosage.

“Only a minority of patients achieve effective results from one mood stabilizer if they’re suffering from bipolar disorder. Many need two or three,” says Dr. Ablow, who added that mood stabilizers only work in a particular concentration in the blood that varies from person to person.

“And that takes time to figure out,” he says.

Source: Page Six

• Billy

Awww, I hope she gets better! My heart goes out to her, her family, and her friends.

I knew she wuz bi polar. People just don’t kno wut da hell dere talkin about theses day (Especially so of theses doctors) I hope dis works out 4 her. I’m sorry but when I saw dis on da News dis morning I thought da worst… u kno!!!!!

• Whatever

I really hope she gets the help she needs. BUT she will be there for some time, so don’t expect her to be out in the next week.

• Laura

I pray that she gets better and gets her life back on track.

I so hope she gets better, so that she can concentrate on gettin custody of her boys back and then eventually far down the line work on her career. LOVE YA BRIT!!!!!!!!!! Stay strong honey!!! I’m prayin for u.

• we love u

we love you girl get better i know you never set out for all this
    it may be to late for some things but is never to late to get your self out of the hole ok
    get better for you and your boys

• Britney4ever

Britney by strong!

I read her parents went 2 court 2day @ 11:15 2 fight 4 control of britney’s treatment…

• Laura

OMG…Britney’s parents are going to court to obtain an order allowing them to make decisions on Britney’s behalf. They feel that Sam and Adnan are manipulating their daughter and squandaring her finances. I pray and hoep that they succeed.

• Christina

go Britney. we are so proud of u. I know its hard on u. but stay strong hun. U can do it. Everyone is rooting and prayin for u. and for the peeps that arent wishing u well, dont let these critics get u down, cuz they dunno what your going thro. Love ya.

• Christina

Britney, we are so proud of u. cuz everyone wants u to get better. but for the peeps who dont, ignore them. Tell and show them how strong u are. Don’t let them get in ur skin, just walk on by. cuz they dunno what your going thro. Stay strong. Love ya Brit!!!!!!!!. Luv u Sheena sweetie!!!!!!!!

• branko

i hate to hear all that bad stuff about her.i am praying all the time(even if am not very realigion)… But when is question about Her i’ll do everything… Britney TRU LOVE HAS IN LOVE OF HER FANS.
    DO U THINK SO GUYS??? We never loved her of her money or anything else…
    I think only her parents can help her and love of her FANS.
    BRITNEY STAY STRONG REAL FANS LOVE YOU

• Laura

Finally there is a restraining order against Sam.